I knew when I first tried the Colour Chrome polishes that I wanted to use them together for nail art. Since 'negative space' seems to be having a bit of a moment right now, I thought it would be a good opportunity to combine the two trends for a modern and grown up manicure.
The three Models Own polishes I used for this design are Chrome Gold, Chrome Silver and Chrome Rose, you can read my full review on them here; and I used nail art tape (bought from Ebay) to mark the spaces. As I said in that review, these metallic polishes dry very quickly, and whilst that's normally a good thing, it actually made this manicure extremely difficult because the polishes would start to dry before I could remove the tape. I'm not embarrassed to admit that it took me 4 or 5 attempts to get all 5 nails looking acceptable!
- First I created a smooth base by painting one coat of Save The Nail - Bridge the Ridge base coat (link), this fills in any ridges in the nail and the pink tint counteracts yellowness.
- Once dry I covered the base with a layer of Sally Hansen - Insta-Dri top coat (link), and allowed the nails to dry and harden for 30 minutes.
- Next I used nail art tape to create stripes across the nails.
- Working with one nail at a time, I painted one quick coat of chrome nail polish over the desired section of the nail.
- Immediately after filling in the gaps with polish, I removed the tape (in the opposite direction to the direction of painting). *This was the tricky part!*
- Polish left to dry completely, no further top coat was used.
Overall I am happy with this mani. It did take a LONG time and I had to simplify the design a lot compared to my original idea, but I think the effect is still good. I absolutely love seeing the gold, silver and rose colours all together. Hopefully now I've finally got the hang of painting and removing the tape at super quick speed I can try something more intricate with these polishes.
What do you think? Are you a fan of mixing metallic colours too? Do you have any tips for successful tape manicures?
Follow my blog on